Friday, October 19, 2007

Here come the Wiki's.

Wiki's look fantastic to me.  I can see them being a wonderful interactive tool for Libraries....especially when as a part-time library staff I am constantly asked for my opinion or recommendation for one or other authors or books etc....which I invariably am not familiar with or haven't had the chance to read...I particularly enjoyed browsing the BookLoversWiki of Princeton Public Library. I could see this having enormous value and interest to both patron and staff.  I was fascinated by the Library Success Best Practice Wiki and interested in it's now registered entry due to 'vandalism'....guess there are some draw backs as Library Success points out in its 'pros' and 'cons' page, but the fact that Wiki's can be used by a wider audience, meaning without  computer programming skills and could therefore encourage our library to reach out to it's community or even create a community seems a valuable way of embracing the new style of Library that we will need to embrace. I would love to see a Book Lovers Wiki or a Subject Guides Wiki developed for our Goldfields Library....and could even see it relevant in the YA , JF  and Picture book areas.....mmmmm....must talk to the boss!

1 comment:

cathy said...

yes, i agree about the book lover's wiki and think something like that or the http://bfgb.wordpress.com/ (Blogging for a good book blog) in our library would be fantastic.