Saturday, September 29, 2007

Balancing Technology

I often feel quite torn and anxious about getting the balance right with the technology that exists in my life and that of my family's. As much as I love watching a great film and enjoy the odd exceptional television show....... rely on emails from girlfriends who are overseas.......am grateful for the contact I and my children can have with our families by long distant telephone calls....... read The Age each morning on my laptop in the kitchen and access the Library catalogue when I need to......am pleased I can choose which photos I wish to keep on the digital camera......and am relieved I can take a mobile phone with me on long journey's in the car, just in case.  I am also concerned about the tech explosion my children are experiencing and their attraction and reaction to it which is almost maniacal at times.  I try so hard to limit and guide and achieve a balance with more earthy activities, but sometimes it's so difficult for the children to understand why I think the way I do and sometimes I'm just bothered by the stress the tech. advances bring to my life.  I heard some one recall recently that when Bill Clinton was first President there were only 50 internet sites!(could this be true!) I hope Learning 2.0 and the 23 Things will help lesson the fear, give me a greater understanding and a wider view; will it help with the balance too?

2 comments:

RojoLass said...

I think you are doing really well with the way you are tackling Learning 2.0 and your thoughtful posts. Good on you!

Learning 2.0 administrator said...

Balance is the most difficult thing of all! Great blog- keep up the lovely work.
Regards,
Leslie